Our small company would be very intersted in this

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Hi,

I work in a small IT company that has an internal Lync service running without any problems. We are looking to provide web chat to our external customers via our website. Would this widget provide us with what we need? and if the answer is yes what kind of help could I get implimenting this? I'm no website coder, I'm more a MS man myself and helped with the Lync deployment. What kind of knowledge is required to get this working on our external website?

I concidered contacting one of you guys via chat but then read about certain rules and how busy you people are, Maybe I will just give it a go with the documentation you provided.

This looks like a really nice widget that would give our customers something they really want.

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Hi Wizzkidy,

Thanks for your interest and for contacting us trough this forum.

Deployment

To deploy this solution you need some lync server knowledge because there's quite some configuration required. I'm a .NET developer myself and I needed the help from our MS technology focused sysadmins to set things up at the server side. 

If you already managed to set up a lync server, you should be fine, using the documentation and some googling.

You also need some minimal IIS knowledge to set up the WCF service and change the app pool user.

Customization

Most people seem to implement the sample client without any customization. That's OK, since the client already looks nice and polished.

If you want to do some customization you will need a bit of JavaScript/CSS knowledge. I would say the javascript level of the code is intermediate. I tried to comment my code and keep it simple. There's A LOT you can customize without having to touch the server-side code.

Any more complex changes such as multi-user chat or file sending will require you to dive into the WCF service code, which I must admit is a bit messy and hackerish. 

Need help?

We are a small commercial company with 16 employees and a strong focus on web with MS technologies. We made this project as a showcase and to train our skills.

We can provide technical assistance if you need it. Poke me on the chat and I'll provide you with details on how to put in an official request.

Good luck!